Sunday, July 12, 2009

Red Skinned Potato Salad

What is the 4th of July without a BBQ, right? It was my in-laws turn to host the holiday picnic, so I volunteered to make potato salad, Todd's all time favorite. I get a lot of comments on this salad too and it's my go to side dish during the summer when I have potatoes to use up. So here it is:

1. Use 2 lbs red skinned potatoes. Boil in lightly salted water for 30 minutes or until soft.

2. Meanwhile, make the hard boiled eggs. To do this, put 4 eggs in a pot and fill with cold water, 1" above the eggs. Put on the stove on high. When the water comes to a boil, remove from heat and let sit for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, drain the water and rinse eggs with colr water. I then let them sit in the fridge to cool some more.

3. When the potatoes are done, chop each into 1/2" cubed pieces and place in a bowl.

4. While chopping the potatoes, get the bacon cooking. I personally like to cook bacon for salads in the microwave using paper towels. I put 4 on the bottom, lay on the bacon, and then two on top for 4 minutes. It gets done just right and is super easy to crumble.

5. Chop the bacon up and add it to the chopped potatoes.

6. Next, chop up the oinion. Normally I like to finely chop red onion, but I forgot to pick one up from the store. I had some green onions on hand, so they got used instead. Just finely chop and toss in with potatoes and bacon.

7. Next, peel and chop the hard boiled eggs. Toss in the bowl with the potatoes, bacon, and onion.
8. Next, chop two pieces of celery and toss it into the bowl.
9. Then mix in 1 to 1.5 cups mayo. I prefer to use Hellmans but I guess if you liked it a little sweet, Miracle Whip could work fine too. Mix in mayo with a spoon. Then place in refridgerator for at least 2 hours or let the flavors come together. I personally think it tastes best after coming together overnight in the fridge.










No comments: