Thursday, August 13, 2009

Starting on the baby food already?!?!


Yes, I've decided it's the perfect time to start freezing fruits and vegtables fr making baby food this winter. When I started making baby food for Luke in November 2007, the pickings were quite slim and might I add VERY expensive. Have you ever tried to find organic peaches in November? Yeah, I think they were something insane like $4.99/lb! Maybe that is why Luke's had so many bananas and sweet potatoes!
Anyway, this time I decided to think ahead since so many fruits and veggies are in peak season right now and if frozen now, will taste their absoute best too. Oh, and as an added bonus, buying in season saves me a TON of money. So tonight I started on peaches. I scored 5 lbs of organic peaches at the farmers market for $.99/lb. All I did was boil a pot of water and prepare a bucket of ice water. I dropped four peaches at a time into the boiling water, let them sit in there about a minute. Then removed them and dropped them into the ice water for another minute or two. At that point, the skins pretty much slid right off. Then just cut the peaches in half, scoop out the seed (or is it a nut? whatever) and then cut the peach into wedges. I then covered the slices with apple juice to keep them from browning and preventing freezer burn. They can apparently stay frozen fr up to 12 months in a deep freezer, but we'll be preparing this as one of the first foods sometime around January I would guess. We will again be processing the fruits and veggies in a blender with breast milk, then freezng in ice cube trays and froze in ziplock baggies. This worked out very for us last time.
Also in season right now is apricots, plums, mangos, green beans, peas, and zucchini. This fall I'll freeze pears, apples, carrots, sweet potatoes, and squash.

No comments: