Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Teaching an old dog new tricks...

and I'm the old dog! =) No, really though, I had a big well duh moment today and it was so good, I thought I'd share it. Normally when I return stuff to the store (which I do a lot because I can never make up my mind), I just ask for store credit and consider it free money. So then I'll walk through the store looking for something to buy. 99.9% of the time, it's not something I need, it's just something I decide I want and it's not a smart purchase. The returns are usually to big stores that I go to often to - Target, Walmart, Kohls - so its not like it'll be more than 10 days before I actually do go there for something I atually need.

So today I'm out running errands and returning things. I had stuff to take back to Kohls, Target, Walmart, and Hobby Lobby. But I was meeting my mom and grandma for my first ever sewing lesson in less than two hours, so I knew I didn't have time to shop. So as I ran my errands, I did the unthinkable, at least in my case. I just took the store credit and *gasp* actually put it in my purse for later!

So yes, while it's burning a whole in my pocket and I'm racking my brain for stuff I NEED, I'm not going to use it. The next time 'm at these stores and have to get something I really need, THEN I'll pull the cards out and get a good discount on my purchase.

So, like I said, it's probably a "well duh" moment, but for me, it's working and it's a change that'll help me save probably about $200 a month! And in a time when I'm on unpaid maternity leave, every $200 counts!

No comments: